Tuesday, August 21, 2007

flats and "jobs"

Today's been rainy. Well actually drizzly, lovely word. I woke up late and decided to stay in bed to read the sunday newspaper, which lay nearly untouched on the lovely linoleum flooring of the flat.

So I got up late, baked a peach pie (improvised, based on 3 recipes and my imagination), which turned out to be less than excellent but still edible, and wrote a few emails, checked the market for new flats.. And then I went to see one of the flats that I like again. I haven't found a place yet.

Now that I've been looking for a new place to live, I've been thinking about how much stuff I have and what sort of a room I'll need and so forth. It has dawned on me that he probably took with him 70% of the stuff that we brought here a year ago. There's really not very much left: My clothes and shoes (a remarkable amount at that), a single shelf of books (yes really, that's it! I'm surprised too!), a number of smaller boxes containing.. stuff, 2 small desk lamps, 1 larger one, and very limited kitchen supplies (they were ALL his). And then of course the bloody futon.

I'm sure it'll be more than enough when I get round to actually moving it, but thinking about it doesn't intimidate me right now :.)

I've taken up a, shall we call it, freelance job. All year long I've been receiving mails from several testing units from the university, primarily psychologic, and the other day I signed up for a brain wave experiment - just for the hell of it and because they pay 7.50/hour cash. Basically I had a good experience, although it was not a total piece of cake. For an hour and a half I sat and read a newspaper I had brought and chatted to the Japanese researcher while he attached 4 electrodes to my face (!) and I don't know how many to my head, on a white hoodie sort of thing. Then I did several tests, probably for 2 and a half hours (had tea and biscuits too!) and finally a nice shampoo and conditioning treatment to get the ionic paste out of my hair. Altogether 4 and a half hours, and I walked out 35£ richer and with clean hair. Easy peasy! So tomorrow I'm doing another one, but this time it's a "wriggle your toes and ears"-experiment. I wonder how that's going to go down - very exciting and interesting, hehe. And they pay too ;.) I also have another of the brainwaves lined up for Thursday.

Gotta make money somehow, eh?

3 comments:

moif said...

Are you sure its not just a Japanese fetish?

mlj said...

Japanese fetish? What ever du you mean!?

..I do for sure find it intersting, but I'm not quie sure that's what you're implying :.)

moif said...

Oh, I dunno... Japanese people attaching electrodes to one's mind whilst tickling the feet...

Maybe I've watched to many manga's?