Friday, September 28, 2007

The weather has changed

(Posted with a day's delay,I'm afraid)

Yesterday was cold - real cold. I have brought out my long, woollen sweaters, but am waiting a bit to unpack my winter coat. That would just be too much of a commitment..!

The last couple of days have been really exciting, even more than just the changing of the seasons, which in itself can be a thrilling ride of “oh no, it’s raining again” interspersed with those moments of clarity where you realise that you are part of something bigger, a system that keeps moving, no matter what goes on in your own little life.

Tuesday was challenging. I was preparing for my interview the day after (had to do a 10 minute presentation on what I can bring to the firm + several other tasks), and so actually had something to do. The rest of my course-mates were frantically completing their work on the exhibition that was to open at 6.30 that evening. I felt bad for not taking part in the preparations and had to keep reminding myself that what I was doing was equally important. I just really like to take part in common things like that. The exhibition was great, and all the hard work really paid off in the end. There were so many people there that one could hardly move – success! Most of the time I was just really happy for everybody, they were so happy to be done, and I genuinely smiled on the numerous photos being taken. At one point, however, I felt so alone. I was not done, did not have any relatives or friends there to see my work. I was not overjoyed to have completed the course, because I hadn’t! I wandered aimlessly around, taking in all the people looking in awe at the boards displayed, chattering away about how much work must go into the projects. My mind drifted to the interview the day after, but eventually I got to talking to some people again, which allowed me to enjoy the ret of my evening.

The day after I had my very first serious interview. I wasn’t sure how it had gone, but I did walk away with a positive feeling, yet I wasn’t entirely happy with my replies. I guess they were, since they called me today to offer me the job – starting Monday! I am terribly happy and confused at the same time. I have had no stable rhythm in my life all summer, and all of a sudden both basketball and a job commence simultaneously. I have been looking forward to this, but now I won’t have all that free time and be able to organise my days as I please. Part of growing up?

Have a list of about 25 points that I would like to have done before starting my job (!), it’ll be a busy weekend (and oh, the first basketball game is presumably on Saturday, too).

Wish me luck :.)

3 comments:

cakapaje said...

My best wishes to you! Knock them dead on the courts! But not with your employers, mind you. Otherwise, there'd be no one to pay you :)

Best of luck!

nurulazreenazlan said...

hey maja, i saw owen just now. he said i look happy =) guy's based in dublin now.

congratulations again for the job! now you can look out for your friend here who's a member of the great unwashed, hehehe!

and good luck for your first game tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! London - look out, here she comes! Break a leg, but just not on the basketball court!

How much did you win your game by?

Mamatumaini