Sunday, April 19, 2009

Running

Lately I haven't been running a lot, and I have gone through phases of enjoying it, missing it and really being annoyed that I couldn't just go run!

My back has been causing me issues, and my running buddy, the sportstherapist, says it's probably due to me stopping with the diversity of movemenets my body was used to through basketball, and replacing it with an exercise that is basically just body straight up and legs moving. I've been doing core stability exercises for the back (boring but I can already feel an improvement), being treated with massage and stretches and basically been lazy.

But I'm starting up again - and it feels great! Just went 12 km today in lovely mild sunshine, through streets dotted with pink petals dropping from the flowering trees, Clissold Park and Finsbury Park, where a summer fair was getting all the kids excited. Nice! I wasn't even sure I'd go all the way to Finsbury Park (basically indicating that I'd just go 4-6km in my local park), but the nice weather and feeling that my legs were good and my back not ailing me encouraged me to go a bit farther!

I've lowered my ambitions for this month as I haven't been able to get out there the first half of the month. I've got 10 days to do 45 kilometres, that should be possible with a little bit of willpower..

All smiles here - and sending my love to y'all.

2 comments:

moif said...

And tomorrow I'll try to ride out to Moesgaard after work... I haven't managed to do this a single time in 2009 yet. Going to work really cuts into my time =(

mlj said...

..and having a new little one must too :.)

Glad to hear that you're going though! One thing I'm learning is to celebrate successes and to go lightly over things that you cannot change anyway. Go tomorrow, and maybe you can go again sometime soon!

How is the work? I'm so glad to hear that you're still at it, and it even seemed at one point on your blog like you really wanted it to continue!