Sunday, May 27, 2007

light through windows

Although things have been dark recently, and I have been split between feelings of emancipation and deep heartwracking pain, I am in relatively good spirits. I had a week in Brussels, treating myself to that most precious of all things: time. And cake, but more about that later.

I stayed at a pleasant hostel, and tried to come to terms with the happy and spirited vibes in such a place, full of young (American) travellers in Europe for the first time. Difficult when you've been crying your eyes out for three days. But it was actually delightful to hang out with them, nobody knowing of all the woes that were at the back of my head. I did my best to be cheerful, but did get moments of feeling ancient and dull. Oh well, nothing new about that.

I managed to walk basically all over the "pentagon" that makes up inner city Brussels, coming across flea markets,the botanical gardens,patisséries with lovely cakes,
cosy cafées, an urban design exhibition (imagine just bumping into something like that!), a Hergé museum (tintin, eh?), oodles of chocolate shops... The city has a wonderful, walkable scale, and I felt very comfortable walking around for hours on end, losing myself in the sunny, winding streets.

After one night and two full days bound to a youth hostel, S. came back from Denmark, meaning that I could move into her's and A.'s apartment. Admittedly, I intended on getting my head straight when I left for Brussels, but the opportunity to simply forget about it all (at least for several consecutive hours) was too nice. The garden is lovely, and I made good use of it.


This post is a lot more cheery than I imagined it might be when I started. That's just me I guess. But things are changing a lot right now, and it has been and will continue to be difficult to deal with. It's like losing the frame of my life, and needing to piece together the contents as well. Me.

No comments: