Monday, November 15, 2010

Yoga

I've just done my Monday yoga; every Monday, following a thinking session straight after work, I head to my yoga class. I love it. Some times I have to drag my mentally refusing brain by the stem, but I know that my body will thank me. Every single time. It's amazing what an hour and a half can do for your well-being. And it's amazing how many times my brain just doesn't feel like going. But I do go.

My teacher is lovely. She has that calm air about her that you'd somehow expect in a yoga teacher, warm, tender almost, and has with gentle adjustments since I started coming to class in January this year taught me a lot about my body.

I've learnt to activate muscles I have never been aware of before. I stretch and twist my spine with an awareness that leaves my muscles sore and used. Tuesdays I really feel my arms from holding them outstretched to the tips of my fingers, shoulders released, or from reaching them straight above my head as high as I ever could. When I bike to work my legs remind me of the mental space and the stretch and use they experienced Monday evening, and I feel a certain satisfaction.

It's a respite, in some ways, from the busy bustle of my daily work, from my hyperactive brain, from my emotional cowardice. It's just me. My body. My breathing, my muscles. It's so incredibly healthy for me.

What do you do for your mental and physical health?

3 comments:

moif said...

Currently I consume processed suger for my mental and physical health. Its a poor substitute for something healthy but its all I can managae at the moment

mlj said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling that healthy is unmanageable at the moment. I know the processed sugar escape all too well, but labour to not.

Hope you and all the moiflings are doing well. Hugs

moif said...

Well apart from the gradual slide into destitution as prices here just keep climbing, and the winter turns us all into popsicles, we're more or less okay.

A touch of good luck might not go amiss though...