Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Lucky star

I didn't know it could be like this. I had hoped that it didn't have to be a long, weary drudge, that there might be opportunities for a sparkle in there, but I had no idea that work could bring such a feeling of being impressed by others, of having walked a shared journey, and of pride in the people continuing when our involvement in the project came to a close. I just had the last session with a community group and I'm feeling a little teary-eyed. I know they will go on to build an amazing building (probably with their own and the community's bare hands!) and I can't wait to visit them in their shiny new building in a few years. It has been a remarkable journey from a meeting with two people who wanted to have a building, to seeing the involvement of the community and the engagement of tens of people over a period of months. They truly have impressed me with their aspirations and dreams, and with being willing to take the chance and challenge that this project is.

At the end of the workshop today they all chimed in, saying how the process of working with us had given them confidence that they can do this, that it seems manageable now, that they feel empowered, that they have learnt so much, and all just beamed with the knowledge that they are so on the right track.

This is the joy that my job gives me. I feel so extremely blessed and lucky to have the opportunity to work with people and within a field that can give me a feeling like this and such a sense of contentment. Few dare even dream of having it, and even fewer have the luck to live the experience.

I'll be looking at the stars this evening to see if I can suss the lucky alignment I'm living under.

1 comment:

nurulazreenazlan said...

it's really great that you actually derive joy from your work, not many people can say that =) some people enjoy what they do, but that doesn't mean they get joy from doing it, i think there's a slight difference there. and most people, of course, hate their jobs.

it's good that you took time to figure out what your interest and what you would like to do, and not just stay and work and rot and end up hating yourself in a design practice. your job is special, the first time i heard of it i thought it was tailor-made for you =)

keep bridging that gap between the designers and the end users my friend, god knows we need it. keep up the good work!